I couldn’t have picked a tastier side dish to have at my dinner party recently. We love sweet potatoes and a couple of our favorite dishes include my Honey Glazed Apple & Sweet Potato Casserole and Honey-Sweetened Apple & Sweet Potato Mash. This is a little bit of a twist on our favorites. The oat topping is phenomenal. Healthier than your typical sweet potatoes you’ll find around the holidays – but you’d never know. Definitely check out the rest of the elements of the series here: Vanilla Rosemary Lemonade, Edible Gift In A Jar: Vegetarian Five Bean Soup Mix, How To Build The Perfect Cheese Board, Dinner Party Guest Invite: How To,Healthy Beet & Feta Salad, Fluffy Whole Wheat Parmesan Garlic Rolls, Simple & Modern Centerpiece Ideas, How To Fold A Napkin, Parmesan Roasted Turkey and Coconut Oil Popcorn.
For the side dish I used the IKEA Senior Casserole with Lid and IKEA Sedlig Serving Set. This side dish is perfect not just for holidays but for Sunday dinners or family get togethers. It’s the perfect amount of sweetness and pairs well with just about anything.
Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
If you love mashed sweet potatoes, you will swoon over how divine these smooth and creamy potatoes are in this Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole. It's features a surprisingly healthy crunchy topping made with wholesome ingredients and refined sugar-free!
For the sweet potatoes
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes peeled and cut into approx. 1" chunks
- 3 medium apples peeled and cut into approx. 1" chunks
- 2 tbsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the pecan oat topping
- 1 1/3 c. old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 c. roughly chopped pecans
- 1/2 c. almond meal
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- In a large pot, boil peeled sweet potatoes. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Add apples, vanilla bean paste, and cinnamon. Return to stove top and heat 5 minutes until apples are warmed through; stirring to prevent potatoes from sticking. Remove from heat and add honey. Using a hand mixer or immersion blender, mash apples and potatoes until smooth. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish or other 3 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the topping ingredients: oats, pecans, almond meal, cinnamon, salt, coconut oil, and maple syrup until moist and evenly mixed. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes. Bake until the topping is toasted and fragrant and casserole is warmed through, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Adapted from Well Plated
*A very special thank you to IKEA Draper who generously provided the product used in this blogpost series. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.