Last weekend some great friends of ours hosted an amazing FriendsGiving dinner and invited us over. There was the most beautiful spread from appetizers all the way to dessert. SO much work went into putting it together I must commend them for pulling off a pretty killer party. Aside from the pecan pie that was TO DIE FOR the other show stopper (among many) was a cranberry salsa appetizer served with crackers. It actually reminded me of when I first tried cranberry salsa last year – delicious! I knew before the appetizer course was over that I wanted to recreate the salsa to share with you! While our friends used agave, I didn’t have that so I subbed for honey.
I actually don’t have much experience with cranberries and don’t have any recipes on Tried and Tasty involving fresh cranberries (always dried, usually in granola or on salad). I was excited to get in the kitchen and create with them. Mostly because I knew they would be great performers for the photographs. I mean look at them. Gorgeous right? This recipe has so many ingredients that I love: lime, jalapeno, cilantro. I don’t super love my food processor and am on the hunt for one (or may be asking for one for Christmas) so I decided to blend this up in my Blendtec Blender. Of course it worked like a charm. Of all the recipes I’ve seen of this salsa online they are all served with crackers. I wanted to switch things up a bit and decided to go with the flatbread approach (Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads makes the best!). Perfect! Easy to handle, already assembled, and the perfect way to get your party started!
Cranberry Salsa Flatbread Appetizer
- 1 (12 oz) bag fresh cranberries, washed
- 2 jalapenos, seeded & minced
- 1/2 c. sliced green onions, roughly chopped
- 1/3 c. chopped cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of two limes
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 c. honey
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 flatbread
- Place cranberries, jalapeños, green onions and cilantro in a food processor or blender and process until fine. Pulse in lime juice, salt, and honey. Heat flatbread in oven set at 425 degrees F and bake for 6 minutes directly on rack. Cool completely. Spread cream cheese evenly over flatbread. Spread salsa on top, cut into triangles and serve immediately.
Want other delicious appetizer recipes?