Essentially, this is the chicken version of taco soup. Brilliant! For a while there Steve and I were having taco soup ALL the time and I got burnt out. If only I had known back then about this recipe I could have switched things up. As with all crock pot meals, I love just throwing everything in the crock pot and forgetting about it. I put this together before work and when I got home for lunch the place smelled wonderful and it was ready to be devoured. We added shredded cheese and sour cream. The only thing we were missing were the chips! On the source site she used a bed of rice on the bottom for hers and I think I will try that next time.
Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
Put this Chicken Taco Chili in the Crock Pot before you leave for the day and come home to this perfectly delicious dinner! Serve it with your favorite toppings!
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 16 oz can black beans
- 1 16 oz can kidney beans
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 24 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- chili peppers chopped (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.
- Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream.
[My 2 Cents]
I didn't have an onion (crazy I know!) so I just used minced onion. Enough that I felt good about it. I didn't have frozen corn so I just used two regular sized cans. My diced tomatoes didn't have chilies and that was fine. I only used a half tbsp of chili powder, I'm not a spicy person. I didn't have tomato sauce so I substituted with enchilada sauce and it worked just perfectly!
Adapted from Source: Skinny Taste