We’ve got zucchini growing like a weed in our garden. I suppose that’s how it grows. Extraordinarily well. I mentioned it before in my post for the “No Really, It’s Healthy Zucchini Bread” that last year so many of our zucchini went to waste because I just plum didn’t know what to do with them all. This year I’m determined that I will use them and not ALL for zucchini bread. So far we’ve had the bread, we’ve had it on the grill, and now we’ve had a stuffed variation. We were able to not only use the zucchini from our garden, but also the tomatoes (I used cherry) and the fresh oregano! Very exciting and VERY fresh! One bite and I quickly realized that this tastes identical to pizza. Only a gajillion times better for you! Actually, you could even do this on the grill if you like. Pair this side dish with just about anything, or have it as your main dish. Either way, you will surely fall in love with it!
Stuffed Zucchini with Tomatoes & Mozzarella
Stuffed Zucchini with Tomatoes & Mozzarella is a simple garden fresh dinner that's great for any summer night!
- Olive oil for brushing baking sheet
- 2 medium zucchini
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes halved, seeded, and diced small
- 1/4 tsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella or 5 oz. fresh mozzarella torn into 1-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 400 F. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil, or use a non-stick baking sheet like a Silpat (no oil required).
- Halve zucchini lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Place, cut side up, on sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine tomatoes, oregano, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Top zucchini with tomato mixture.
- Bake until zucchini is tender, about 20 minutes. Heat broiler, with rack in top position. Top zucchini with mozzarella. Broil until cheese is brown and bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes; serve immediately!
Adapted from Martha Stewart