When I think of the perfect appetizer I immediately think of stuffed mushrooms. I am a mushroom LOVER! The filling options for your stuffed mushrooms are endless, but this combination is one that isn’t to be missed. The sausage along with the cheesy-ness makes for a delicious and rich appetizer your guest will love. These are very similar to my other Stuffed Mushrooms recipe, but by broiling the mushroom caps in this recipe with melted butter, this version I would call 2.0.
Panko Crusted Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Panko Crusted Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are a rich, cheesy, and delicious appetizer!
- 1 pkg. mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 lb. Italian Sausage
- 1 med. onion diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
- Prepare your mushrooms by removing all dirt and particles with a damp paper towel. Remove stem from each; chop and set aside. Remove ribbings and throw away.
- In a medium saucepan, brown sausage with diced onion until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic and cook an additional 60-90 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and stir in salt, cream cheese, and chopped mushroom stems; set aside. Place broiler rack 2-4 inches from the hear source and preheat broiler.
- Brush each mushroom with melted butter, season with salt, and broil stem side down for 2 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from broiler, turn over caps, and fill with prepared filling. Sprinkle each mushroom with cheese followed by panko bread crumbs.
- Return to broiler and broil 2-4 minutes until bubble and breadcrumbs are a golden brown.
Adapted from Tried and Tasty