This past weekend I got together with some of my very best friends. We try to get together monthly to make dinner, play games, chat until our hearts content, laugh until our bellies ache and of course take a zillion pictures (because that’s what we like to do). The goal when we get together is to try and make something new each time. It’s been a couple of years and I don’t think that as of yet we’ve repeated a single dish. Some have been extreme, others have been more simple. Some not-so-healthy, others healthy. These chicken tacos are probably in the top five (if not #1) favorite dish we’ve made to date. They are so light, so fresh, simply put: they are wonderful. Want to know what I love most about them? They are HEALTHY! Want to know what I love second most about them? They are gorgeous. I know I’ve told you before – but I LOVE pretty food. Remember that Three Bean Salad with Corn and Peppers I made a couple of weeks ago? I love pretty food.
Chicken Tacos with Mango Pineapple Salsa
I love the fresh taste of the Mango Pineapple Salsa with these Chicken Tacos.
Mango Pineapple Salsa
- 1 1/2 c. fresh pineapple diced
- 1 whole mango peeled & diced
- 1/3 c. finely chopped red onion
- Juice of 1 lime plus extra if desired
- 1-2 avocado diced
- 1/3 bunch of cilantro torn or chopped
- Salt to taste
- Chicken Tacos
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1-2 tsp. cumin
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- Prep Mango Pineapple Salsa: Lightly mix together all ingredients except avocado and cilantro. Allow to sit while prepping the chicken and tortillas.
- Once your chicken is shredded, in a large pan heat together with cumin, lime juice, water, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally and keep on low.
- You can warm the tortillas on the stovetop as well in a skillet, but do not cover them with a lid. The steam will create a soggy corn tortilla. Or, you can microwave them for approx. 20 seconds or until warm.
- Serve warm tortillas with seasoned chicken; top with mango-pineapple salsa and avocado. Sprinkle with cilantro. Optional: squeeze lime wedge over finished prepared taco.
[My 2 Cents]
I mentioned to my Facebook fans how much I didn't enjoy shredding the chicken by hand, and received some great tips. I had tried with a chunk of the chicken to shred it in my food processor but I ended up with pulverized chicken bits that resembled cat food. Not exactly what I was going for. I've since learned that you can shred chicken with your kitchen aid mixer. I think I've seen that tip floating around Pinterest but forgot all about it when it came time to needing it [isn't that how it always goes].
Another way you can serve these is rather than mixing together your mango-pineapple salsa you can arrange each of the toppings in a separate bowl. That way everyone will have the freedom to chose what toppings they want/don't want on their taco. Enjoy!
Adapted from Butter with a side of Bread