I told you this week was special at TriedandTasty. Not only is it MY birthday week, but it’s also my mother’s birthday week as well! Had I been born 17 minutes earlier, we would have shared the same day :) . This special post is “dedicated” to my wonderful mother. I’m not particularly a pie fan, let alone apple pie. My dad LOVES apple pie and is always buying the frozen pies and baking them. I’ve never been a fan. I think it’s the crust. I don’t care for pie crust. This however, this special recipe doesn’t have pie crust. It has a delicious graham cracker crust! Not only that, but there’s a cheesecake like topping. Oh yea! Besides all of that it’s simply gorgeous and the picture alone was begging me to make it! I also feel as though apple pie screams summer. Does it scream summer? Well this post is perfect for everyone! A delicious summertime sweet apple-ly delightfulness! Happy birthday mom!!!
Candy and Caramel Apple Pie
This Candy and Caramel Apple Pie has a delicious graham cracker crust and is the perfect fall dessert!
- 1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 c butter melted
- 3/4 c caramel ice cream topping
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 5 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, sliced very thin
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Topping
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 c sugar
- 3/4 c heavy cream whipped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 c caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 c chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix well and press into a 10-inch pie plate and up the sides.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden in color. Remove pie shell from oven and cool completely.
- Pour caramel into pie shell and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped pecans. Refrigerate pie shell while making apple filling.
- In a large (12-inch) skilet over medium heat, melt butter and add brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add apples and stir. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are softened and tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, using a hand-held mixer on low speed, combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla and beat for 1 minute or until fully blended. Pour over apple filling in pie shell.
- Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove pie from oven and let cool.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours. Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Top with whipped cream, caramel and pecans, and swirl with a knife. Slice and serve.
Adapted from She's Becoming Doughmesstic