I told you this week was special at TriedandTasty. Not only is it MY birthday week, but it’s also my mother’s birthday week as well! Had I been born 17 minutes earlier, we would have shared the same day 🙂 . This special post is “dedicated” to my wonderful mother. I’m not particularly a pie fan, let alone apple pie. My dad LOVES apple pie and is always buying the frozen pies and baking them. I’ve never been a fan. I think it’s the crust. I don’t care for pie crust. This however, this special recipe doesn’t have pie crust. It has a delicious graham cracker crust! Not only that, but there’s a cheesecake like topping. Oh yea! Besides all of that it’s simply gorgeous and the picture alone was begging me to make it! I also feel as though apple pie screams summer. Does it scream summer? Well this post is perfect for everyone! A delicious summertime sweet apple-ly delightfulness! Happy birthday mom!!!
Candy and Caramel Apple Pie
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Mix well and press into a 10-inch pie plate and up the sides.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until golden in color. Remove pie shell from oven and cool completely.
- Pour caramel into pie shell and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped pecans. Refrigerate pie shell while making apple filling.
- In a large (12-inch) skilet over medium heat, melt butter and add brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add apples and stir. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are softened and tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, using a hand-held mixer on low speed, combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute until smooth. Add egg, lemon juice and vanilla and beat for 1 minute or until fully blended. Pour over apple filling in pie shell.
- Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove pie from oven and let cool.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours. Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Top with whipped cream, caramel and pecans, and swirl with a knife. Slice and serve.