Who doesn’t love a tender and juicy turkey? I’m continuing my dining and entertaining series with IKEA. Be sure to check out these previous posts: Vanilla Rosemary Lemonade, Edible Gift In A Jar: Vegetarian Five Bean Soup Mix, How To Build The Perfect Cheese Board, Dinner Party Guest Invite: How To, Healthy Beet & Feta Salad, Fluffy Whole Wheat Parmesan Garlic Rolls, Simple & Modern Centerpiece Ideas and How To Fold A Napkin. Things are coming together and I don’t know about you but I am loving it! I have been wanting to try a new twist on the traditional Thanksgiving turkey – and while this isn’t wildly different, it’s just different enough!
For this portion of the meal I used the IKEA APTITLIG Bamboo Butcher Block, IKEA VÖRDA Black Chef’s Knife,IKEA VÖRDA Black Carving Knife and Fork, and IKEA SENIOR Off-White White Casserole With Lid. For a turkey, I’d say this is a fairly simple recipe. If you’ve never brined a turkey before I HIGHLY recommend it. It makes your meat so much more tender – you probably won’t even believe it. No more dry turkey!
Parmesan Roasted Turkey
- 1 (10 - 12 lb.) turkey, brined for 24 to 36 hours *
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, cut in large pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Rinse the brined turkey under cold water; pat dry, inside and out (important, otherwise you will not be able to coat with the softened butter), with paper towels. In bowl, mix softened butter, 1/4 tsp. salt, the pepper, and thyme. Stir in citrus juices (not all juices will be incorporated). Rub turkey with seasoned butter, inside and out. Fill cavity with onion, celery, bay leaves, and garlic. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan. Pour chicken broth in roasting pan. Roast turkey 45 minutes undisturbed. Spoon pan juices over turkey. Roast 1 hour more spooning juices over turkey every 20 minutes. Roast 1 to 1-1/2 hours more, spooning over juices every 20 minutes or until thickest part of thigh reaches an internal temperature of 165 F and thigh juices run clear. During the last 20 minutes sprinkle turkey liberally with grated Parmesan. Remove from oven; transfer turkey to serving platter. Remove vegetables from inside cavity; discard.
*A very special thank you to IKEA Draper who generously provided the product used in this blogpost series. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.