I’m bound and determined this summer to find new ways to enjoy the endless amounts of zucchini coming from our garden. I have mentioned before that I don’t want to just make zucchini bread with all of it, so I’ve been on the hunt for delicious recipes that will help me use it all up. I was excited to find this one. Mostly because it’s new, and I haven’t seen it floating all over the internet like most common things I’ve been finding. But also because it didn’t call for many ingredients and looked super simple. It was the perfect side dish to some grilled chicken and came together in no time. I’m excited to add this to the rotation, it’s a keeper for sure!
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Gratin
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Gratin is a great dish for when you need to use up those garden fresh veggies!
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 medium zucchini about 7 ounces each
- 2 medium yellow squash about 7 ounces each
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. panko
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Slice zucchini & squash crosswise 1/4 in. thick. Make sure not to slice too thin, a little thicker slices will hold up better in this dish.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add zucchini, yellow squash, shallots, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini and squash are crisp-tender, about five minutes.
- Add cream, and cook until thickened, approx. another five minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in 1/4 cup panko and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Spoon mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining panko and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until top is golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
Adapted from Martha Stewart