I am happy to say that with all of the zucchini we’ve been growing in our garden (four plants for two people… was a little much) we have yet to let many of them go to waste. I’d say only one or two have been trashed because I let them sit for too long. It’s almost become a game as to how I will prepare the next zucchini. It started with my No Really, It’s Healthy Zucchini Bread and then my Stuffed Zucchini with Tomatoes and Mozzarella was a major hit with the hubs. I mean, who really doesn’t love anything that tastes like pizza?? From there I went on to make Zucchini and Yellow Squash Gratin which is a fantastic recipe. Probably one of my favorite has been my Veggie Lovers Stuffed Zucchini (which has been pretty popular on Pinterest as well!) I then decided to switch gears a little bit with my Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins…which are PHENOMENAL! Lastly, Sunday I brought you a Roasted Veggie Medley that is the perfect pairing to any dish. I’d definitely say that my quest to diversify my typical zucchini recipes has far exceeded my expectations. What a great summer of vegetables this has been. But wait. There’s more! One of my readers ALL THE WAY FROM AUSTRALIA recently emailed me one of her favorite zucchini recipes!!! Little did I know it would be so fantastic. If you don’t make anything else with your zucchini (and even if you need to go out and buy some) you HAVE to make this! It is beyond moist and delicious. I’ve had many taste testers on this cake and the common reaction is: mmmmmmm….
Zucchini Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This Zucchini Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is chocolate-y and delicious!
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. plain yogurt
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 c. grated zucchini remove excess moisture
- 1/2 - 1 c. chocolate chips chips optional
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- Slightly less than 2/3 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9x13 or bundt pan.
- Beat the butter with the sugars. Add eggs one at a time, until light and creamy (with a spoonful of the measured flour to prevent the mixture curdling, if needed). Add the vanilla and yogurt; mix well. Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Stir in dry ingredients, along with the grated zucchini. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle the surface with choc chips if desired. Bake for 45 minutes, or until center feels firm and a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting: In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine all ingredients and whip until smooth. If mixture is too thick add more cream one teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency. Spoon over completely cooled cake. Refrigerate and leftovers.
[My 2 Cents]
I completely forgot to add chocolate chips to the cake before I baked it, therefore I improvised and sprinkled them on after I frosted it with just a handful of mini chocolate chips. Because the cake is so moist, I also stored it in the refrigerator. It lasted a couple of days for me. You probably won't want to keep it around too much longer. But who am I kidding? This won't last longer than that!
Adapted from Karen D.