I’m sharing #SausageFamily in my life as part of a Johnsonville sponsored series for Socialstars™
How are we already in mid-November? I mean, Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK. Next week. Is that even possible? I’ve been gathering ideas for what to take to the in-laws this year and I think I’ve finally got it. This Sausage & Veggie Lovers Stuffing is absolutely perfect. Packed with all the favs like carrots, celery, leeks, zucchini, squash and kale – just about the whole gang is here. Of course, you could also add mushrooms and butternut squash if you’d like to. They would be great additions (especially for the mushroom lovers like me). I decided to kick things up a notch by adding in some Johnsonville Ground Italian Sausage to put some Italian flair on an American classic. What do you think? I don’t know about you, but in our house stuffing is the ultimate comfort food and always a crowd-pleaser at fall family dinners. Especially served alongside the ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, and of course fluffy dinner rolls.
This year we have the pleasure of being hosted for Thanksgiving. Of course, I can’t come empty handed – so this will be the perfect opportunity to share my stuffing creation? I must admit I think I love being an attendee of the big holiday over being the host. I’ve only hosted one… maybe two years and that about did me in. I had no idea how much work went into making the extravagant meal that we enjoyed year after year. That’s exactly why I wanted to make sure and create a SIMPLE side dish that wasn’t a lot of hassle and fuss. Nailed it! The best part about adding Johnsonville’s Ground Italian Sausage is that you can choose the spin you put on it. There are options for mild, sweet, and hot… all of which would be fantastic in this dish. There’s still time to add this to your menu for next week – if you make it, you must let me know what you think! Shoot me an email or tag me on social media, I’d love to hear from you!
Sausage & Veggie Lovers Stuffing
- 16 oz. Johnsonville Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 14 oz. package herb stuffing
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 c. leeks finely chopped
- 1 c. celery diced
- 1 c. shredded carrots
- 1 c. chopped zucchini
- 1 c. chopped yellow squash
- 2 c. kale chopped
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp. sage
- 1/2 tbsp. thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 2.5 quart baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside. In a skillet cook sausage over medium high heat until fully cooked, drain, and set aside. In the same skillet melt butter and saute leeks and celery until tender. Add remaning vegetables and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Add spices. Add broth; bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl; stir in herb stuffing and broth mixture with vegetables. Add sausage.
- Transfer baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 20-30 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, approx. 10 more minutes.