Happy National French Toast Day! I’ve been waiting MONTHS for this day! Partly because I love french toast, but mostly because I LOVE this recipe that I’m sharing with you today! Once again I’ve teamed up with my Food Holiday Blogger friends for another fantastic roundup of recipes. Today is especially great because it’s my favorite food: breakfast! So will you be celebrating? I’ll tell you a little bit about my recipe, then be sure to scroll down to check out the rest for more delicious ideas!
It’s the season for pumpkin spice… am I right? I wanted to add a little seasonal flare with my recipe and also make something a little out of the box than your traditional french toast (In fact, I think we’ve all done a fabulous job of accomplishing that!). First I started with french toast cubes…. HELLO adorable!!! They were so fun to make! Then I added in a scrumptious sauce and finished it off with some banana and chopped nuts. The end result? The most delicious french toast I’ve eaten. IO hope you’ll enjoy it!
Items used in this post:
Pumpkin Spice Bananas Foster French Toast Bites
- 6 thick slices of whole wheat french bread
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ c.milk
- 1/2 c. organic cane sugar
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut cream, the top layer from about 1 1/2 cans full fat coconut milk , stored in refrigerator for 2-3 days or freezer for 2-3 hours
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Remove crust from bread, then cube each slice evenly. In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs and milk together. In another shallow bowl, combine sugar and pumpkin pie spice. In a third shallow bowl, melt butter and set aside. Quickly toss bread cubes into the egg mixture, shaking off excess. Place the bread cubes on a griddle or nonstick pan to "sauté" until browned on all sides. Remove the bread cubes from griddle/pan and coat in melted butter. Transfer into the pumpkin spice/sugar mixture. Toss to coat. Serve immediately with pecans, banana, and Vegan Pumpkin Caramel Sauce.
- Place ingredients into a small pot and whisk together well. Heat until you get a rolling boil, whisking constantly. Boil, while whisking, for about 10 minutes until it begins thicken. Test thickness by coating the back of a spoon. It will thicken more as it cools. When done allow to cool and drizzle over french toast.
- Recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Caramel Sauce from Veggies Don't Bite: http://www.veggiesdontbite.com/pumpkin-caramel-sauce/