I’ve got zucchini coming out of my ears. Well. Honestly I don’t have that much. But for two people it’s kind of a lot. It’s the end of the month and we are running on the low side of groceries. Here’s where my creative side has come out. Normally, I would find a recipe I want to make and if I don’t have all of the ingredients I will run to the store and grab what I’m missing. Well, this month we’ve already exceeded our grocery budget. So running out to the store wasn’t really an option. So. I opened the fridge and looked at my options. I was inspired by some zucchini ravioli that I’ve seen floating around Pinterest. Because my mandolin sliced my zucchini in shorter strips the ravioli wasn’t really an option. What’s the next best thing? Roll-ups! So I went right to work with what I had and the tastiest dish was born. If you love cheese, you will love this dish. It’s pretty much cheese lovers heaven. Do you have extra zucchini lying around and you aren’t sure what to do with it? Give this recipe a try!
Meatless Cheesy Zucchini Roll-ups
Meatless Cheesy Zucchini Roll-ups is super cheesy and super tasty!
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes optional
- 1 c. tomato sauce pizza sauce, or marinara
- 1 tsp. parsley
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- With a mandolin, slice zucchini into 1/8" thick ribbons; set aside.
- Using a square baking dish (I used 9x9), spread the tomato sauce evenly over the bottom.
- In a medium bowl combine both cheeses with the yogurt and sour cream. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mixture will be thick.
- Taking one ribbon at a time, you will place about a tbsp. of cheese mixture at one end of the ribbon and then roll-up. Secure with a toothpick and gently place in your baking dish on top of the tomato sauce layer. Continue until pan is full.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove toothpicks and sprinkle with additional cheese (if desired) and parsley. Bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted. Enjoy!
[My 2 Cents]
If you are new to Tried and Tasty, this summer I’ve challenged myself to make something different each time I prepare zucchini. It’s almost become a game as to how I will prepare the next one I grab from the garden. It started with my No Really, It’s Healthy Zucchini Bread and then my Stuffed Zucchini with Tomatoes and Mozzarella was a major hit with the hubs. I mean, who really doesn’t love anything that tastes like pizza?? From there I went on to make Zucchini and Yellow Squash Gratin which is a fantastic recipe. Probably one of my favorites has been my Veggie Lovers Stuffed Zucchini (which has been pretty popular on Pinterest as well!) I then decided to switch gears a little bit with my Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins…which are PHENOMENAL! I brought you a Roasted Veggie Medley that is the perfect pairing to any dish. Then finally, my most recent recipe (and possibly more my favorite than the stuffed zucchini) was the Zucchini Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. It is unbelievable. Now you’ve got options too for what to do with all of your zucchini!