The second course I made at the Salt Lake Home Show on Friday night was my Healthy Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie and this Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie. Both were a HUGE hit! I have been a big fan of subbing cauliflower for white potatoes over the last couple of years or so. It all started with my Riced Cauliflower. Since then I’ve also made mashed cauliflower half a dozen times and even over Christmas made a cauliflower/potato mashed blend that was pretty delicious.
There’s just something so comforting about this meal. In my original recipe I used ground beef and regular potatoes. The only difference in this recipe is is that I subbed in lean ground turkey and cauliflower. A couple of small changes can make the biggest difference! Tell me that at first glance you thought those were mashed regular suds!? Looks identical right?! With the theme of my home show presentation ‘The Lighter Side: Your Guilty Favorites Made Guilt Free’ this was the perfect recipe to share. A healthy delicious & quick meal. With the exception of steaming the cauliflower, this is a one pot meal: easy peasy!
Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd's Pie
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 med. onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 (15.25 oz.) can of corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of green beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped (removing center)
- 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Steam until soft; approx. 10-15 minutes. While cauliflower is steaming, heat olive oil on medium-high in a large pan and saute onions until translucent; 3-5 minutes. Add ground turkey; brown and season with garlic salt, salt & oregano. Add corn, green beans and tomato sauce. Heat throughout. Once cauliflower has softened, drain all water and mash with a potato masher, hand held immersion blender, or hand mixer. Spoon meat mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish and cover with prepared mashed cauliflower Sprinkle the pie with shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
Here are a few more delicious potato casserole recipes you will love!