Last year sometime I had this at a get together with friends. One bite and I was addicted. This is such a good appetizer that compliments any Italian meal quite nicely. It was simple to prepare and I was able to throw it together in the afternoon to serve that night. Letting the flavors marinade for a few hours is a must! It’s a nice change from salsa.. it’s nothing like salsa really – but the closest thing I could compare. Have your breath mints ready, this is gar-lick-ee!!!!
Italian Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
This easy to make Italian Tomato and Basil Bruschetta recipe is packed with flavor thanks to fresh shaved Parmesan.
- 6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 3/4 c. fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/8 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1-2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic halved
- 6-1 " thick slices fresh Italian bread ciabatta is good, grilled or toasted
- 1/3 C. shaved fresh parmesan
- Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out some (but not all) of the excess liquid.
- Chop the tomato and mix together with the remaining ingredients, excluding the bread. Marinade for at least an hour. Refrigerate until you need it.
- Serve with bread.
[My 2 Cents]
**Freshly grated** parmesan is a must. I didn't realize before now just how much better fresh is than canned. I bought a wedge and got down to business with my hand grater. It was fabulous!!! My bread of choice was a baguette. Per recommendation from my friend, I sliced the baguette into half-inch slices and brushed lightly with olive oil. Sprinkled on a light dusting of garlic powder, salt and pepper, then baked for 400 for 8-10 minutes.
Adapted from Divine Dinner Party