*This post is sponsored by the USA Dry Pea & Lentil Council, but the opinions are my own.
Did you know that this week is National Split Pea Soup week? You are in for a treat because this split pea soup recipe is fantastic. I thought I’d switch it up for your generally hum drum ‘ham & split pea’ soup recipe and give you a fun, new, fresh & tasty way to serve your lentils. This Hearty Split Pea Sausage & Sweet Potato Soup is filling and delicious. Want to know the other great thing about this recipe? It’s slow cooker! I don’t know about you, but I love just throwing my yummy veggies & meat in to a crock pot and letting it do all the work without having to worry about it!
Split pea soup is a great cold weather comfort food, and with the cooler temps ahead, you’ll definitely want to keep this recipe handy. What’s even better – take a look at the ingredient list in this baby – nutritional powerhouse! The split peas, the sweet potatoes, all the yummy vegetables… it’s fantastic! With the addition of sausage it makes this a hearty and filling soup (which can easily be made vegetarian if preferred). Give it a try, you won’t regret it!
Hearty Split Pea Sausage & Sweet Potato Soup
This Hearty Split Pea Sausage & Sweet Potato Soup is sure to warm your belly with wholesome goodness!
- 1 med. onion diced
- 4 med. carrots sliced
- 4 celery stalks sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 med. sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 c. dried yellow split peas picked over and rinsed
- 1 14 oz link Turkey Polska Keilbasa, sliced in to coins
- 2 32 oz. cartons chicken broth (could sub with veggie broth)
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Salt to taste optional
- In a slow cooker, add your onions, carrots, celery, garlic, sweet potatoes, and split peas. Cover with broth. Add your spices. Cook on high 4-6 hours until sweet potatoes are tender & soup reaches a thick consistency. If needed, cook an additional hour.
Adapted from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen