I promise I haven’t turned vegetarian [since veggies are what has consumed the site these days]. Not that there is anything wrong with being a vegetarian. I have just become wildly obsessed with vegetables these days. I honestly can’t get enough and I’m loving all of the “new, to me” ways to prepare them. I have especially been crazy about artichokes. They are so beautiful and interesting. About a month ago I shared with you “Steamed Artichoke: How To“. I happened to glance at the bag that the artichokes came in and noticed a grilled recipe. But at that point, I was already using my last artichoke. So when we went grocery shopping last weekend I picked up some more to try out the grilled recipe. You still have to steam them before you grill them, so refer to my other recipe for how to do that. They turned out fantastic. Paired with the yummy dipping sauce they were the perfect compliment to the grilled chicken that I had with them :). Don’t be scared, it really isn’t too much work to make them. Believe me, they are worth it!
Grilled Artichokes are a great side dish to any meal, especially when they're dipped in garlic butter!
- 1/3 c. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- Cook artichokes by steaming or boiling until just done and cool. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise and scrape out the fuzzy "choke" center and remove any prickly purple-tipped leaves.
- Place onto preheated grill. Cook until tender and lightly charred in spots, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together lemon juice, garlic, salt and freshly ground pepper, and slowly whisk in olive oil. Brush the artichokes with the mixture during the last couple minutes of grilling and serve hot or at room temperature.
- With the leftover lemon juice mixture, I just added a teaspoon or two to a tablespoon of organic mayonnaise for my dipping sauce. Delish!
Adapted from Queen Victoria Artichokes