This last weekend I went camping with friends. If you haven’t learned yet, camping is in my top three favorite activities. I absolutely love everything about it. Funny thing. I’m not entirely sure where my love comes from. I didn’t grow up camping and only went a handful of times. There’s just something about it that I fall in love with every time I go. Over the last few years I’ve started to collect dutch ovens and love when I get to use them. This particular dutch oven recipe is fantastic. Made with Rhodes Bake N Serv Anytime Cinnamon Rolls this sweet treat can be ready in 30 minutes!
Sadly, I didn’t end up making this delicious dessert on our camping trip… and my friends may probably give me a little bit of grief after seeing this. Instead we made dutch oven cheesy potatoes, baked beans, rolls (wishing I had remembered the ingredients for my Dutch Oven Buttery Pull Aparts), and an apple cobbler. To say we ate well would be an understatement. We ate REALLY well! It was so delicious! Next time for sure I’ll be sure to pack the rolls for this yummy deliciousness!
Items used in this post:
Dutch Oven Caramel Apple Pie
Enjoying the flavor of warm apple pie - enter this Dutch Oven Caramel Apple Pie - under the starry night sky is easy when you begin with frozen cinnamon rolls.
- 12 Rhodes Cinnamon Rolls or AnyTime!® Cinnamon Rolls thawed but still cold
- 1 large Granny Smith apple peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Caramel Icing
- 2 packets cream cheese frosting included with rolls
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Cut each roll into 4 pieces and arrange in the bottom of a 12-inch Dutch oven (lined with aluminum foil, if desired) sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with lid and let rise 1-2 hours (if using Anytime rolls you do not need to let them rise).
- In a bowl combine apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, cracker crumbs and pecans. Remove lid and sprinkle evenly over cut rolls.
- Cover with lid and bake at 350°F 25-30 minutes.
- For icing combine cream cheese frosting with caramel topping. Drizzle over pie while still warm.
Dutch Oven Temperature Control using Briquets
- 350°F in a 12-inch Dutch oven, oven top 16, oven bottom 10
Adapted from Rhodes Bake N Serv