Remember when I reviewed the 400 Calories or Less with Our Best Bites cookbook and made the Grilled Veggie Flatbread Pizza? Another one of the recipes I made from the awesome cookbook were these Chocolate Peanut Butter Apples with Coconut and Almonds. Um HELLO! Why haven’t I made these before now? I know that apple nachos are all the rage and ALL over Pinterest, but I hadn’t dabbled with them yet. So I did. And they are awesome. One of Steve’s favorite go-to snacks is apples and peanut butter so I was extra excited to make these for him. What did he think of them? Two thumbs up! Best part about this recipe? I had all the ingredients on hand! I’m guessing you probably do too.
I pretty much love anything with toasted almonds and especially anything with toasted almonds AND coconut. Our favorite toasted coconut to buy is Creative Snacks Organic Toasted Coconut Chips. If you haven’t had them and love coconut you must try them! When I did the Weber State presentation back in March I used the toasted coconut chips in my Tropical Fruit & Yogurt Parfait and everyone was RAVING about how delicious the coconut was! Anyway, back to these delicious apples. They are a wonderfully healthy snack or dessert that you can make in less than 10 minutes and enjoy guilt free. Oh. One more tip! My favorite candy bars are Chocolove Premium Chocolate Bars and that’s what I used for my drizzle – I just melted down a couple of squares and voila!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Apples with Coconut and Almonds
- 1 medium crisp sweet apple
- 1 tbsp. chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. all-natural peanut butter (should be liquid enough not to need to be heated)
- 1 tbsp. toasted sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 tbsp. sliced toasted almonds
- Core apple and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange on plate. Place chocolate and oil in a small sauce pan and melt on low. Drizzle chocolate and peanut butter over apples. Sprinkle with coconut and almonds.