I’m always looking for ideas of meals that are low calorie, filling, quick, and tasty for lunch. Because my time is usually limited on my lunch hour something simple is a top priority. This pita filling is great. Because I’ve been counting my calories, meals that are around 300 calories are exactly what I need to stay within my daily calorie goal. My friend introduced this to me several months ago and I’ve been meaning to try it ever since. I finally got around to it and now I’m wondering what in the world took me so long? One bite in and I was hooked. This would be great to prepare at the beginning of the week and have ready throughout the week as you need it. Great grab-n-go lunch!
This Chicken Waldorf Pita would be great for lunch or even a light dinner!
- 4 4 oz. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 med celery stalks finely diced
- 1/2 med red onion finely diced
- 1 granny smith apple diced
- 2 tbsp. cilantro
- 1 c. plain greek yogurt
- 3 whole wheat pita pockets
- In a large pan on medium-high, cook chicken until white and no longer pink (you can also grill your meat, which is what I chose to do). Once cooked and cooled, cut in to 1/2 in. cubes.
- Mix together chicken, diced celery, onion, and apple, along with cilantro and yogurt. Chill 15-30 minutes or until ready to serve. Scoop chicken salad mixture into pita pocket halves and enjoy!
[My 2 Cents]
You don't have to use chicken thighs, you can of course use chicken breasts as well. I prefer the thighs because I have found them to be juicier and more flavorful.
Adapted from My friend, Jewels J.
We LOVE the Kangaroo Pocket Bread (in the whole wheat w/honey). They are perfect for lots of things. Most often, we use them for personal pita pizzas, more recently I’ve been using them for my favorite breakfast: stuffed with scrambled eggs, a slice of deli meat and some cheese. They are great not only because they are whole wheat, but also because they are only 90 calories for 1/2 a pita. I’ve found them at WalMart as well as our Target Super Store. Hopefully you can find them near you!