This sponsored post is written by me in partnership with Real Salt. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Tried and Tasty possible. As always, all opinions are my own.
Fall is here! You know how I love my summer if you’ve been around for any length of time, however the thing I enjoy about fall is all the yummy delicious food. Comfort food if you will. I’m a major caramel apple fan and was super excited to give this fall twist to a muffin that can be used for both breakfast (no judging here) or dessert. Recipes that can double for both are always winners in my book! If you’re new here and haven’t ventured too far – let me quickly introduce you to my love of caramel apples with my: Caramel Apple Fondue, Candy Bar Caramel Apple Salad, Caramel Apple Oatmeal, Caramel Apple French Toast, No Bake Caramel Apple Icebox Cake, Caramel Apple Tart, AND Healthy Caramel Apple Fruit Dip. See. Told ya.
What I love specifically about these muffins is that they are salted caramel. I know that is all the rage right now, but for good reason. Salt and caramel go together like peanut butter and jelly, bread and butter, chips and dip… you get the idea! Chances are, you’re probably already pretty familiar with caramel – but when’s the last time you stopped and thought about the salt that you’re cooking and baking with? But salt is salt right? Not exactly! Real Salt® is the only brand of sea salt that is harvested right here in the United States – in my home state of Utah to be exact! It’s unrefined, and has no additives or preservatives. It also has a full complement of natural trace minerals. It tastes fantastic and it’s my go to salt these days!
These muffins will fill your house with the warm fragrances of fall and will taste just as delightful as they smell – let’s get started, shall we?
Caramel Apple Muffins
- 1 c. packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 in. cubes
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. Redmond Real Salt
- 1 c. caramel baking bits
- 1 c. caramel baking bits
- 1/2 tbsp. water
- Make the batter
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/4 c. of the brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Stir in the apple cubes and set aside. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the oil, granulated sugar, and the remaning 3/4 c. brown sugar until combined. Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla and mix until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, remaning 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and Redmond Real Salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in the cinnamon apples and caramel baking bits. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425F. Line two muffin tins with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, using a fork, stir together the topping ingredients until the mixture is crumbly. Don't overmix. Set aside. Using a large ice cream scoop or spoon, fill the muffin cups almost to the top. Sprinkle about 1 tsp. of the topping over each muffin. Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375F and bake for 11 to 13 minutes more. Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin to make sure it comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make the caramel: In a small bowl, melt together the caramel bits and water. Drizzle on top. Finish with a sprinkling of Redmond Real Salt.