This sponsored post is written by me on behalf of the Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission (ORBC). Thank you for supporting the brands that make Tried and Tasty possible, as always, all opinions are my own.
You all know my LOVE of Oregon (specifically Portland). La-la-la-la-LOVE Oregon. When I was given the opportunity to develop a recipe using Oregon Blackberries I couldn’t have been any more ecstatic! Do you want to know what the best thing about berries are? You can indulge in the sweet, natural taste of raspberries and blackberries without any guilt! It’s been said that: “Oregon berries are so filled with antioxidants that they’re like a tiny army in the battle for your health.” Doesn’t that sound something you’d like fighting for you? I know I certainly do! Did you know that more than 90% of the berries grown in Oregon are flash frozen within hours of being picked at the peak of ripeness, locking in maximum nutrition, taste and color? We are in that peak right NOW and what better way to utilize the delicious fruits than in this fab new recipe?
As much as it doesn’t feel like it, we STILL have some summer left! I have to keep telling myself this. I always get so sad when August rolls around because it feels like the close of summer comes all too quickly. With that said, there is still plenty of fun to be had in the coming weeks. In fact, I’ve got a busy month myself. My sister is getting married NEXT WEEK. Eek. Hard to believe it. Lots of craziness of making sure everything is in order and next week will be even more hectic. When you’re on the go it’s easy to grab whatever you can get your hands on out the door. These hand pies are a healthy and delicious option! Made with top quality ingredients you can feel good feeding the whole family these sweet little babies!
Items used in this post:
Blackberry Hand Pies
- 2 1/2 c. almond meal/flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 c. Organic palm oil shortening I used Nutiva
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. fresh or frozen Oregon blackberries
- 1 tbsp. honey
- In a medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients and set aside. In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients (melt palm shortening prior to mixing it into the batter). Stir wet ingredients into dry. Carefully knead dough into a ball, then gently roll out into a circle to 1/4 in' thickness. Using a biscuit or circle cookie cutter, cut pie crust into circles. Cover with wet paper towel until filling is ready.
- Heat blackberries in a saucepan with honey over medium heat. Mash slightly & remove from heat when warmed.
Preheat oven to 375 F. On top of one pie crust circle top with 1 tbsp. crushed blackberries. Top with another pie crust. Carefully seal edges using a fork. Brush with liquid from warmed blackberries. If desired, sprinkle with raw organic sugar. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven to cool.
Adapted from Tried and Tasty Pecan Hand Pies
Be sure to check out these other delicious hand pies as well!