Oh, my heaven on earth!!! This was pretty much amazing. Looking at the ingredient list I knew it was going to be good. Watching it bake in the oven, now that was a different story. This was awesome. It’s more like a “bar” type dessert than a cake. It is best the day after baking it after it’s cooled good and plenty but either way this was ah-ma-zing 🙂 I don’t even remember where I stumbled upon the recipe but what I do know is it’s a variation from Paula Deen Celebrates. I love that Paula Deen. I would love to meet her some day! Oh yeah, and I didn’t have yellow cake mix so I used French Vanilla and I think I would use that every time from now on. One more thing, my toffee bits didn’t have chocolate on them and I think I preferred that better anyway.
Toffee Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 pkg. yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 (1 lb.) box powdered sugar
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 c. almond or chocolate toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13-in baking pan with vegetable oil cooking spray. In a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed, combine cake mix, egg and 1/2 c. melted butter; mix well. Pat evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Set aside. In the same bowl, beat the cream cheese at medium speed until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat again at low speed until blended. Add the butter. Mix well. Fold in the toffee bits with a spatula. Pour the filing over the cake mixture and spread it evenly. Bake 40-50 minutes; the center should be just a little bit gooey. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into pieces.