I love Chinese food. Sweet & Sour Chicken ranks right up there with Sesame Chicken for me. On one condition though, the chicken can’t be breaded. Well. Let me clarify. I don’t like breaded sweet & sour chicken from Chinese restaurants. There’s so much breading and hardly any chicken. Sometimes I wonder of there’s any chicken at all. Have you ever felt that way? I went to make sesame chicken the other day and grabbed the sweet & sour sauce. I was going to just swap sauces with the recipe I had, and then I found the recipe on the back of the label. I had all the ingredients (even the bamboo shoots.. it’s crazy what I keep on hand right?) and it was quick to throw together. It ended up being so good we didn’t have hardly any left over (we served it for a dinner get together with friends). So good I made it again the next night!
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken is a popular Chinese dish, and you can easily make it right at home!
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 large bell pepper seeded, cut into 3/4 in. chunks
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken sliced into 2 x 1/2 in sclies
- 1 can 8 oz La Choy Bamboo Shoots, drained
- 1 can 20 oz pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 jar 10 oz La Choy Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1 tbsp La Choy Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. water
- La Choy Chow Mein Noodles optional
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet or wok over high heat. Cook and stir onion and bell pepper about 2 minutes, or until crisp tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Pour remaining 1 tbsp oil into skillet. Cook and stir chicken about 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Add onion and bell pepper back into skillet. Stir in bamboo shoots and pineapple chunks.
- Combine sweet and sour sauce and soy sauce in small bowl; add to skillet. Stir together corn starch and water until smooth; add to skillet.
- Cook until heated through and sauce thickens.
- Serve with chow mein noodles, if desired.
[My 2 Cents]
I don't really know what the bamboo shoots have to offer. The first night we made this I didn't add them. The second night I did add them. It's good both ways but I wouldn't specifically buy the bamboo shoots again for this recipe.
Adapted from La Choy Sweet & Sour Sauce label