Happy New Year Tried and Tasty friends! It’s officially the start of a new day, a new month, and a new year. Can you believe it? I for one am looking forward to a fresh start and bringing you more delicious recipes. Do you struggle with the winter blues? I would definitely say that I do. Summer is my life, and the second winter rolls around I’m immediately wishing for it to go away. The freezing cold car I have to get into every morning. The ice covered roads of treachery. The constant shivering. The short days and long nights of darkness. It’s just not my fav. But! There are ways to fight it! This winter bowl is one of those ways. Perfectly bringing together the seasons favorites including Brussels Sprouts, sweet potatoes and kale. But also backing a surprising sweet twist with maple candied walnuts (a variation of my Maple Candied Almonds) and dried cranberries.
This bowl doesn’t get any easier. Roasting vegetables are one of my favorite ways to prepare them. Sweet potatoes are good just about any kind of way, but roasted they are especially good. Add in the Brussels Sprouts and you’ve got yourself a match made in heaven. I’m excited to be kicking off the year with such a delicious and healthy recipe that I think you’re really going to love. In fact, I’m hoping to be bringing you LOTS of seasonally appropriate recipes in 2017. I’m participating in #365Recipes created by Brooke of Cheeky Kitchen. While I’m not sure I’ll be able to tackle a new post each day, I’m excited to give it a shot. What do you think? Are you up for an adventure with me this year? Come along. Not only will it be fun – it will also be delicious!
Items used in this post:
Sweet Potato, Kale and Brussels Sprouts Winter Bowl
- 4 stalks kale, thinly sliced
- 4 c. fresh spinach, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly slices
- 1/4 lb. bacon, roughly chopped
- 1/4 c. shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash and trim ends of Brussels sprouts. Slice each Brussels sprout in half. Place on a sheet pan. Add peeled and diced sweet potatoes. Drizzle with oil, dash with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast in oven for 30-35 minutes or until slightly browned, tossing about every 10 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt coconut oil . Add maple syrup and vanilla; stir well. When bubbling, add walnuts and stir to coat evenly. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes, being careful to not burn them. Remove pan from heat and transfer walnuts onto wax or parchment paper to cool. Cool completely.
- In the same pan you cooked your bacon, drain excess oil and saute kale and spinach 2-3 minutes until warm. Remove from heat and dish into bowls topping with roasted Brussels Sprouts & sweet potatoes, red onion, candied walnuts, dried cranberries and parmesan. You'll definitely had leftover roasted veggies. Save these for more bowls throughout the week or use them in other recipes!