Did you know that May is National Hamburger Month? I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Cinco De Mayo than with this fantastic Queso Blanco Burger! I’ve teamed up with my sweet friend Jesseca from One Sweet Appetite to bring you delicious burgers all week long. Over the last four days I’ve brought you the buns, now it’s time to bring you the burgers! So back to this amazing burger. What is Cinco De Mayo anyway? “Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for “fifth of May”) is a celebration held on May 5. It is celebrated in the United States and in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, [note 1] where the holiday is called El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).”
The more common party foods are things like Seven Layer Dip (I also really LOVE my Taco Dip!), guacamole, Homemade Salsa, stuffed peppers (like my Poblanos Stuffed with Cheddar & Chicken!) or Quick & Easy Chicken Tostadas… to name a few. Basically, pick any of your favorite Mexican foods for a delicious celebration. I wanted to somehow incorporate Cinco De Mayo with my burger. After some thought, the Queso Blanco burger was born. It’s the best of both worlds. A creamy cheesy delicious dip spooned over a well-seasoned juicy hamburger. How can you go wrong?
I’ve been showing you a handful of different options for hamburger buns made-at-home. For these I decided to use my Homemade Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns. They were FANTASTIC! Of course, if you don’t have all the time in the world (not that I do), store bought buns work just fine as well.
Queso Blanco Cinco De Mayo Burger
- 1 lb. ground hamburger
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Onion powder, to taste
- Seasoned salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. diced white onion
- 1 medium jalapeño, deseeded & diced
- 2 medium poblano pepper, roasted and diced
- 10 oz. white American cheese, shredded (find this cheese at the deli counter)
- 6 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped Onion
- Heat grill to medium-high. Divide hamburger in to eight equal balls. Flatten and season both sides. Grill to desired doneness. Remove from heat. Top with lettuce, tomato, onion & Queso Blanco dip.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and jalapeño pepper until softened, about 3-5 minutes; reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the roasted poblano pepper. Add the shredded cheese and milk. Stir until mostly melted. Stir in the tomatoes and chopped cilantro. Serve with chips immediately or transfer to a crockpot to keep warm.
- You'll find your white American cheese at the deli counter. I bought both the white American and the pepperjack at the counter in chunks (instead of slices). Then, when I got home I just ran the chunks through my food processor and quickly shredded it.
Jesseca also has a FABULOUS burger recipe for you today:
Be sure and stop by to see her Pulled Pork Burger!
We love comments, so if you like what you see, we’d love to hear from you!
Here are some more recipes from burger week!