Happy National Ice Cream Day! In fact, July is National Ice Cream Month! I’ve REALLY been wanting to jump on the no churn bandwagon ever since it started. Like REALLY. Ever since I first saw the Easy Homemade Ice Cream Without A Machine recipe from Kevin and Amanda clear back in 2010. That’s how long I’ve been wanting to try no churn. However, in recent years I just couldn’t hop on to the whole ‘sweetened condensed + heavy whipping cream’ bit. Does it sound wonderful? Certainly! I just couldn’t find a way to justify making, eating, or posting such an indulgent treat. I know that I still post the occasional traditional sweet treats around here, but for the ice cream – I just wanted something different.
When I made my Nutty Salted Caramel Coconut Ice Cream I was in heaven marveling at how delicious a ‘healthy’ ice cream recipe could be. But it needed an ice cream maker. On the hunt I continued for a great alternative to the sugary no churn ice cream. I finally found exactly what I was looking for in this recipe! So I figured since I’ve got all this pent up excitement to make a healthier no churn, why not go crazy and make three flavors in one for a neapolitan? The result was absolutely amazing and all sorts of guilt free! For my chocolate layer, I used my FAVORITE Chocolove Pure Milk Chocolate Bar as my mixin. If you haven’t had one of those chocolate bars, you haven’t LIVED! They are incredible! Enough chit chat. You need to make this ice cream stat! In fact, I polished off the vanilla and most of the chocolate last night. Thank heaven’s I still have some strawberry left! It will be time to make some more very soon!
No Churn Neapolitan Ice Cream
- 3 (14 oz.) full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge (or cans coconut cream)
- 14-16 oz. (about 2 c.) pitted dates
- 1/4 c. hot water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. vanilla almond milk
- Slightly less than 1/3 c. carob powder (can also use unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder powder)
- 1 high quality milk chocolate bar, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1 c. strawberry puree
- 1 c. fresh strawberries, chopped
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill for at least 10 minutes (stainless steel works best). Add moist, pitted dates to a food processor or high speed blender and process until small bits remain. If your dates aren't moist, you can soak them in water for 5-10 minutes, then drain. Add hot water to your food processor or blender a little at a time until dates forms a thick paste. Set aside. Being careful to not tip or shake the cans, scoop out the thick top layer of coconut cream from the cans of coconut cream or coconut milk, reserving the clear liquid for other uses. Place in chilled mixing bowl. Using a mixer, whip until creamy and smooth. Then add vanilla, almond milk and half of the date paste. Whip until fully incorporated. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed. Divide batter in to three bowls for the three different layers. Your batter should be about 5 cups total. You'll need 2 c. for the chocolate layer, 2 c. for the vanilla layer, and 1 c. for the strawberry layer. Add required mixins to the bowls of each layer. Transfer to a parchment-lined freezer-safe container and cover loosely with plastic wrap, then foil to help freeze. You can take this out in a couple of hours for a chilled mousse-like ice cream. Freeze overnight for a firmer ice cream.
- 1. If you're using coconut milk, you'll likely use less sweetener because there's less volume.
- 2. You can take or leave the parchment paper for the freezer-safe container. I found that it just got in the way and wasn't exactly necessary.
- 3. If frozen overnight or longer, set out for at least 20 minutes prior to scooping, and use a scoop warmed under hot water for a proper scoop.
- 4. Will keep in the freezer for up to one week, but best when fresh.
No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream // Cupcake Diaries
Easy Oreo Ice Cream Cake // Butter With A Side Of Bread
Coconut Almond Ice Cream Sandwiches // Real Mom Kitchen
Cheesecake Ice Cream // Ashlee Marie
Rhubarb Anise Dairy-Free Ice Cream // Happy Food Healthy Life
White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream // Kreations By Kara
No Churn Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream // Like Mother Like Daughter
Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream // Jamie Cooks It Up
Want even MORE options? Try these recipes as well!
Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream // Ashlee Marie
S’More Ice Cream // Ashlee Marie
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream // Kreations By Kara
Cinnamon Ice Cream // Kreations By Kara
No Churn Key Lime Pie Ice Cream // Like Mother Like Daughter
No Churn Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream // Like Mother Like Daughter
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream // Butter With A Side Of Bread
Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream // Butter With A Side Of Bread
Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches // Real Mom Kitchen
Mini Ice Cream Cookie Cups // Real Mom Kitchen
Homemade Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream // Happy Food Healthy Life
Peanutty Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream with Fudge Ripple // Happy Food Healthy Life
Vanilla Raspberry Ice Cream Dessert // Jamie Cooks It Up
Cherry Chocolate Ice Cream Pie // Jamie Cooks It Up
Super Fudge Brownie Ice Cream Squares // Cupcake Diaries