There are many enchilada recipes out there. I have at least five favorite recipes myself. Upon discovering this recipe, I now have six favorite enchilada recipes. This one is a chart topper. All of the ingredients I had on hand, which is always a bonus. I love that the red sauce topping has cream… mmm.. I love sauces with cream! I also love cream cheese. In fact, there isn’t anything NOT to love about this recipe. Well, maybe the calories. But I won’t think about that. These were a surefire hit and I highly recommend you trying them!
Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 can cream of chicken
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup (optional)
- 3 c shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 8 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 can green chiles
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese
- 1 c salsa
- 3 c canned or homemade mild red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 c canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of oregano
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a shallow medium saucepan combine the red enchilada sauce, cumin and oregano. Heat until it starts to boil, lower heat and simmer a minute or two. Stir in tomato sauce, then cream, and heat through. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine all filling ingredients but the chicken and shredded cheese. Mix well. Add chicken and cheese. Mix until incorporated.
- Place a generous amount of filling on one end of tortilla. Roll tortilla and place in 13X9 baking dish. Repeat process until pan is filled. Pour red chili sauce over the enchiladas, top with shredded cheese, and bake for 25-30 minutes until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted.
- Add chopped green onions on top just before serving for garnish.