Chocolate and peanut butter. What could be a better combination? There’s something special about biting into a cookie and finding a surprise inside. Especially when the surprise tastes like the inside of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, only creamier, and yummier. These remind me of the type of cookie you would make at Christmastime. In fact I may even add them to the Christmas cookie list this year. Lets consider this Christmas in July! On top of the delicious surprise filling, the other thing I love is the sugar coated outside. I love when cookies are rolled in sugar just before baking. It adds a little something special that’s just so minor yet so memorable. These are a delicious cookie surely to be loved by all… so long as you love peanut butter and chocolate 🙂
Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c granulated sugar (plus more for rolling)
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together sugars, butter and 1/4 cup of peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg, beating to combine. Stir in the flour mixture and stir to combine, blending well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together powdered sugar and remaining 3/4 cup of peanut butter until smooth. Pull off a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and flatten with your hands.
- Take about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixture and place it in the center of the chocolate dough. Wrap the chocolate dough around the peanut butter center, pressing to seal.
- Roll the cookie into a ball and roll the cookie in the sugar. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass, flatten each cookie to about a 1/2 inch thickness. Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Let stand on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.