Stop everything. Hold the phone. Call the press. AVOCADO TOAST?? Can someone please tell me why I’ve been living under a rock and have completely ignored this genius trend? For real. Have you HAD avocado toast before? I searched the internet high and low in hopes of a new and creative (but also delicious) way to bring this to you. It was high time I entered the area. I’m stepping out on a limb here, but I think this just may be the best decision of 2017 yet. Yep. All five days of it. Since Brussels Sprouts are in season, and I had some leftover from my Sweet Potato, Kale & Brussels Sprouts Winter Bowl I made the other day, I decided to collide a couple of worlds. A few years ago I posted my Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad and when I was thinking of what to do for a yummy avo toast this brilliant idea came to me.
If you haven’t made my Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad yet you must. It’s a must, a must, a must. In fact, you’ll find that out for yourself when you make this avo toast. Can we talk for a minute about bread? Have you tried the Udi’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread? Gluten Free or not, you NEED this bread in your life. It’s KILLER. No, this isn’t a sponsored post for Udi’s – I just needed to share that little tidbit with you to spread the love. You’ll thank me later I’m sure. So about this toast. When you make it, prepare to eat it ALL. So you may want to have some sort of a plan – like make it when you’ve got family or friends over. I’m not sayin’ I’m just sayin’ I may have had a couple of extra pieces that I wasn’t planning on originally. I love every recipe that I post but this one takes the cake as one of my all time favorite. That’s saying something as I’ve been blogging for seven years now. What it’s saying is: make this.
Items used in this post:
Cheesy Brussels Sprouts and Avocado Toast
- 24 Brussels sprouts, washed & chopped or shredded
- 1/2 c. Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
- 1 c. walnuts, chopped & lightly toasted
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds, chopped & lightly toasted
- 1/2 c. + 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a large lemon
- 3 tbsp. apple cinder vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 slices Udi's Gluten Free Soft & Hearty Whole Grain Bread (you can use your favorite bread)
- 2 ride avocados
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Chop or shred the Brussels sprouts in a food processor, with a mandolin (which I never seem to have luck with) or chop with a knife. Toss the sprouts in a large bowl, top with toasted walnuts, almonds & grated cheese.
- In a small jar, mix together your dressing ingredients: olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and mustard. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Put a lid on the jar and shake vigorously until well mixed. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir thoroughly.
- In a medium sized bowl mash your avocados and mix with the salt. The salt is very important, so if I were you I wouldn't skip that step. It amplifies the flavor of the avocado perfectly. Toast your bread, then top with a couple of tablespoonfuls of mashed avocado. Then top with the Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad. Enjoy!
- [My 2 Cents]
- When toasting the walnuts and almonds I chose to do that in my toaster oven on the broil setting. If you chose to toast them that way as well, my only warning is that they will brown FAST so keep an eye on them or you will end up with burnt nuts. No one wants that and by that time you'll be itching to dig in to this salad and will want to dive in already. I would say it only takes maybe 3-4 minutes - but just watch closely.
- [More of My 2 Cents]
- This salad is best served immediately, because after a while it will get soggy. If you happen to have leftovers it's still great the next day but best the first day! I wouldn't store longer than an extra day.